excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: refactoring StoreJanitorImpl
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:04:30 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
>> so all cocoon committers can commit to all of excalibur. Cocoon is one
>> of the most important users of the excalibur codebase, and we like to
>> keep the barrier as low as possible (trusting of course no-one makes a
>> mess out of things :-D).
>
> Vadim brought up the idea to contribute the Cocoon Event package
> replacement (RunnableManager) to Excalibur. Personally, I'm not sure
> about it as in the end we have the Event package back here in a
> different form. So, maybe you guys have a look at it at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/thread/

> and give us your thoughts about it.

Hmm. I don't know that much about the event stuff, primarily seen it
from a user perspective as it was used in fortress.

My general experience in the past when codebases moved from cocoon to
avalon was that it didn't do those codebases much good, so I'm not so
sure this'll benefit anyone....

Berin, care to comment?

> Honestly, I didn't find the rason why the Event package has been
> deprecated at all (and I just took it as a community decission I've not
> followed)

as I recall...

Over at avalon, at some point it was decided to start maintaining the
event packages over at d-haven.org. Since Berin started working on it
over there and stopped working on it at avalon (many people stopped
working on many things at avalon...), it was also decided to port the
excalibur codebases (in particular, fortress) over to the d-haven event
packages (which are better than the old ones in absolutely every way).

With all that settled and no-one left here maintaining our own event
package (but Berin as the primary maintainer of course being close by
and involved) it only made sense to deprecate it in favor of the d-haven
package.

I'm a bit surprised this didn't pop up on the cocoon-dev list earlier, I
vaguely recall asking about what the impact would be on cocoon. And that
raising no concern. Mind you, this was probably all in a period (o, how
vague te memory can be...) where just about the entire cocoon crew had
just decided that reducing dependency on avalon as much as possible was
a Good Thing, so that could be a factor as well. I dunno.

Hmm.

I think the first thing to make sure is that cocoon is confident it can
trust excalibur as a dependency for the existing stuff, before thinking
about increasing that dependency again.

Does that make any sense?

cheers,

Leo