excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Transient m_logger in AbstractLogEnabled?
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:17:42 GMT
On Wednesday 24 November 2004 16:46, Leo Simons wrote:

> > Generally speaking; To obtain long term compatibility of serialization,
> > it is wise to implement the readObject() and writeObject() methods plus
> > setting the serialVersionUID variable.
>
> serialVersionUID and its associated tool suck ass as an idea,

With RMI/Serialization hat on;

If you have no strong need to keep the serialVersionUID compatible with an
existing, released version of the class, you can simply put in;

static long serialVersionUID = 1L;

into the classes, and only change IF (and that should be avoided)
serialization compatibility can not be maintained.

I.e serialtool is not needed if you start out from scratch.

Hat-off.

Cheers
Niclas

--