excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Transient m_logger in AbstractLogEnabled?
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:24:25 GMT
On Wednesday 24 November 2004 04:51, Marcus Crafter wrote:

> Since persistence of any component will require the logger to be re-set
> on the component when it's recovered we thought it would make sense to
> set the m_logger field to 'transient' in AbstractLogEnabled?
>
> The change would be:
>
>    private Logger m_logger;
>
> becomes:
>
>    private transient Logger m_logger;

Generally speaking; To obtain long term compatibility of serialization, it is
wise to implement the readObject() and writeObject() methods plus setting the
serialVersionUID variable. If that is done, transient has no effect.
Testing of such compatibility also requires that serialized instances are
saved and checked in to the code repository. :o)

If the AF is going to be properly serializable, I suggest that it is done
properly across all classes, incl. of the tests.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.dpml.net       /