excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Harrah <matt.har...@platinumsolutions.com>
Subject Re: - no subject -
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:54:58 GMT
You are probably correct. However, I am doing this from within Keel 2.0,
which as near as I can tell does not allow me to select how the metadata
is read by the container, or which container is used. So, for me
changing or enhancing Avalon is not really an option. I didn't say this
before because I didn't want to muddy the water with something that
seemed at the time like it didn't matter, but I guess it does.

What I'm really hoping to do is fool the container by emulating the
javadoc tag output from an alternate source (the roles file instead of
javadoc tags). I want the container to think I used javadoc tags when in
reality I used roles files.

>From my research, it looks like I could just create .meta files with the
shorthands in them, and services.list files with the classnames of the
services being used, and that's all that's needed. Can anyone think of
anything else I might need?

On Oct 25, 2004 09:31 AM, Marcus Crafter <crafterm@managesoft.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Hope all is going well.
>
> >From memory, Fortress already supports reading the ECM style roles
> >file,
> so it's quite possible that you don't have to change anything. Check
> out
> this class:
>
> org/apache/avalon/fortress/impl/role/ECMRoleManager.java
>
> Aside from that, It would be good to have a migration tool to build
> metadata from ECM components. Might be worth enhancing the fortress
> metadata generation ant task to handle the existence of a .roles file.
> This would then let people use the newer @tags based and older ECM
> style
> components.
>
> Let us know which way you decide to go :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcus
>
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:49, Matthew Harrah wrote:
> > I am insterested in creating the metadata that fortress requires
> > without
> > using the javadoc tags.
> >
> > We have an application using the old ECM roles files and turning its
> > contents into javadoc tags into 750 or so java classes is
> > unappealing.
> > Plus, we are using a tool at development time that maintains our
> > roles
> > file for us and needs it to be there for us to continue to be able
> > use it, and it does not know about the javadoc tags.
> >
> > So, what I'm thinking is writing something to take the roles file
> > and
> > make the .meta files and the services.list file and whatever else
> > fortress might need, perhaps through an XSL transform....
> >
> > You seasoned fortress guys and gals: does this sound feasible? Is
> > there
> > documentation (stop laughing!) about the format of the metadata, or
> > do I
> > need to reverse engineer classes like
> > org.apache.avalon.fortress.tools.ComponentMetaInfoCollector and hack
> > it?
> > Or is it so simple as to be trivial?
> --
>      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
>     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
>     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
>      $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
>      ;$,    _/ &&:'
>        '     /( &&&
>            _&&&&'
>           &&&&.
>     &&&&&&&:

Matt Harrah
Senior Consultant, PlatinumSolutions, Inc.
matt.harrah@platinumsolutions.com
http://www.platinumsolutions.com
Two Discovery Square, 12012 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 445
Reston, VA 20190    PH: 703.471.9793  FAX: 703.471.7140

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.