excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@managesoft.com>
Subject Re: Testing/debugging components?
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:50:26 GMT
Hi Leo,

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 01:07, Leo Simons wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
> > BTW - will we be seeing you at this years GetTogether in Gent?
>
> hehehe: http://jroller.com/trackback/lsd/Weblog/lsd_gettogether_nope

I see... well, perhaps next time then :)

> > I guess I'm not really looking to do too much, perhaps create an
> > abstract test case class that has an associated xconf fragment, that
> > defines how the component should be instantiated/created by the
> > container, and the rest would be normal junit processing.
>
> don't we have something like that already? I'm sure I saw it somewhere
> sometime...

I'm not sure, but the references Peter and Lief look promising - will go
chase up their responses (thanks guys!)

> > * The JUnit style help described above
> >
> > * Something like 'Open Call Hierarchy', but slightly different in that
> > it displays references where the given component was 'looked up'.
>
> no idea what that is...

When you invoke 'Open Call Hierarchy' on a method/constructor, Eclipse
will present you with the places where that method/constructor was
called - so you can easily see where it has been invoked which I find
useful.

In Avalon though, the container runs the constructor and lifecycle of
the component, so opening the call hierarchy of any lifecycle method
always points you to the container utils code, and the call hierarchy of
the constructor always points to no-where (cos' its all done via
reflection).

Essentially I'd like to be able to say - show me all the places where
this component has been "looked up" in client code so you can see where
it's been used - I guess in reality its just an enhanced (or limited,
depending on perspective :) ) search.

> > * Something that extends the compiler to generate the
> > metadata/services.list, etc, so that running/debugging in eclipse works
> > out of the box.
>
> couldn't we just write a no-external-files-needed version of fortress so
> that running/debugging works out of any box? Must be possible.

Sure, must be possible. We'd still need to generate the meta-data and
put it into the Eclipse environment, but replacing the xconf would be
too difficult I guess (?)

> > I'm sure there are others?
>
> I dunno; not so big on UI stuff. Eclipse/GTK seems real slow (on linux
> that is). I doubt I want to use it :-D

Must need a faster machine then :)

Cheers mate.

Marcus

PS. Torsten and I just thought of another one, the ability to
graphically view the dependency tree of components that look each other
up.

> -LSD

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
     $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: