excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@managesoft.com>
Subject Re: Testing/debugging components?
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:25:51 GMT
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 21:14, Leo Simons wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> Hi Marcus! Good to hear from ya :-D

Hi Leo,

Likewise mate. Thanks for your reply.

BTW - will we be seeing you at this years GetTogether in Gent?

> > Hope all is going well.
> >
> > I was wondering if there was any interest out there for building some
> > junit and Eclipse plugin's for enhancing support for testing/debugging
> > components, etc?
>
> you might want to look at MerlinDeveloper (or whatever they're calling
> it now), some eclipse plugins mainly by Andreas Oberhack to do just that
> in a merlin env. (LSD ducks...)

Ok, thanks for the tip - I'll take a look at it and see what they've
done.

> > Currently, I find it a little difficult to write a junit test case for a
> > component because it requires a container, or at least something to
> > bring it through it's startup/shutdown lifecycle.
>
> I'm not a big fan of custom *unit* test frameworks; its very important
> to test in isolation, and when you test inside a container that's no
> longer isolation. But that's just me :-D

Sure.

I guess I'm not really looking to do too much, perhaps create an
abstract test case class that has an associated xconf fragment, that
defines how the component should be instantiated/created by the
container, and the rest would be normal junit processing.

I think most of us have custom solutions in our workareas to do this
already (either this or we manually bring the component through it's
lifecycle in the test case) - I was hoping we could put all those ideas
into something "standard" perhaps.

An Eclipse extension would then let you drive the same test through the
JUnit plugin. That was the hope anyway! :)

> > So I thought about building something that would let you create a
> > "component test case" that would let you associate a configuration, etc,
> > amongst other things with a component. This would make it a bit easier
> > to initialize the component in question, and then the test* methods
> > could then operate on it.
>
> A few versions of such a thing have been built over the years. The first
> one used to be called PUnit and was a "phoenix emulator". I dunno
> whether that lives on at loom; prolly...

Ok. Cool, will take a look at that as well then, thanks.

> > I'm sure there's many other things we could do to make it easier to work
> > with components and fortress in general inside of eclipse - any ideas?
>
> I'm just now learning a little eclipse (I use IDEA as my IDE). There's
> no doubt interest in this from other users. If you want to get to work
> on it over here just holler and we can get you hooked up to SVN (after a
> vote of course ;).

Cool, well I think I better have something written up first :)

I was thinking of some of the following:

* Wizards for creating component interfaces and implementations
(including auto generation of the @qdox tags for metadata).

* The JUnit style help described above

* Something like 'Open Call Hierarchy', but slightly different in that
it displays references where the given component was 'looked up'.

* Something that extends the compiler to generate the
metadata/services.list, etc, so that running/debugging in eclipse works
out of the box.

* and a few others I'm trying to remember :)

I'm sure there are others?

Cheers,

Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
     $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: