excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur project FOG=-100
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:03:13 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Hi,
> I have seen that the Excalibur project bluntly consider Gump an "annoyance",
> and pragmatically killed all the hard effort that I and Stefan put into get
> Excalibur sources in order earlier this year.

It was not intended to slight you or Stefan in any way.  The truth is
that we really aren't sure how to get Maven builds and Gump to be happy
together.  It's not something that is common knowlege and it is not easy
to maintain.

<snip/>

> I am considering reverting the excalibur projects in Gump back to the Avalon
> version until the Excalibur community smartens up in respect to Gump. At
> least the Avalon-excalibur codebase is build operational, except for some
> alt-rmi stuff, which I perhaps can get working anyway.

You are one of the few people who know how to get Gump running, but it
isn't fair to you to be the only one maintaining it.  I'm not aware of
any good step by step instructions to get Gump working again.

Alot of the Excalibur codebase is dependant on a number of other
projects which does complicate things too.  If those dependencies
change, then making it work again is hard mainly because of the
lag time.  Make a change to the config file, wait 8 hours, wash/rinse/
repeat until it comes clean.

The real problem is making it easy.

> Cheers
> Niclas
>
> P.S. Really needed to get this off my chest, since there seems to be certain
> levels of hippocracy floating around...

To be honest, I am pro the concept of Gump, but all my attempts at
maintaining the Gump build have been very frustrating.  I tried to
get it set up on my local machine, but I don't have the space or the
patience to get it working.  At least that is my reality.  I just wish
it were easier to make Gump work and to test the Gump build.

                 - Rich Cook