excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Instrument status. (update)
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:52:30 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 02 August 2004 21:23, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>> have gotten everything in Excalibur building and working again.
>>>But this is going to affect other containers which handle
>>>Instrumentation.   Stephen had approached me about Instrumentation in
>>>Merlin at one point, but not sure if it was ever implemented.
>>>

>>I dunno, but I do know merlin has no dependency on any excalibur materials.
>>

>That is correct. At some point, we will probably investigate the cross-section
>between instrumentation package here and what we would like to equip Merlin
>with.
>I suspect(!) that it is possible to allow instrumentation (or some parts of
>it) in a more 'transparent manner', i.e. components doesn't need to know they
>are instrumented, than is possible with Excalibur/Fortress. But that is a
>suspicion only :o)

Currently Fortress pretty much just helps register components which
expose their own
Instruments.   The old ECM container did much more instrumentation
wise.  The
container itself made use of fully instrumented handlers so you could
track the number
of pooled components, as well as lookups and releases, etc.  At some
point we may
want to get some of that into Fortress as well.  It can be very useful
for applications
which do lots of lookups and releases as the app runs.

While it is a good goal to instrument as much as possible via the
container, there is also
a lot about components which can only be handled by the component
itself.   Remember
that unlike logging, the instrument API allows you to write components
which support
instrumentation and be able to use them in containers which do not.   So
as long as
everything else is compatible, an instrumented Fortress component should
be able to be
used in Merlin or elsewhere.   You would just need to include the tiny
little instrument-api
jar.

Cheers,
Leif