excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Question about closing a LogKit PriorityFilteringTarget
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 05:47:03 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

>Leif Mortenson wrote:
>

>>I can not think of any reason why you would not want to
>>close down the wrapped log targets in the first place.
>>

>IIRC it was partially to maintain backwards compatibility and also to
>enable the sharing of log-targets between multiple
>PriorityFilteringTarget objects. (ie have an "error" target that
>triggers a mailout and an "info" target that logs to files).

That is how I am using it.  Warning and above get mailed.

>>But given that
>>someone
>>went out of their way to provide this behavior, it seems like closing
>>them by
>>default would be better behavior.
>>

>+1
>
>>For now, I am going to modify LogKit so the default is to close the wrapped
>>LogTargets when the PriorityFilteringTarget is closed. If there are any
>>concerns about this change then I can go back and change it. I only make
>>an issue of this because someone appears to have gone out of their way to
>>make it work this way...
>>

>I think that was me and it will break a lot of code if you make this change.

This last statement conflicts with the +1 above?   It sounds like it
should not be changed.

Looking closer at the code, It does not appear to be possible to
reference the same
LogTarget more than once when using Excalibur Logger to configure
LogKit.  But I
do see how it would be possible when referencing LogKit directly.

I retract my request for the patch to LogKit.  (I would still like
commit karma though) :-)

It looks like this should be handled in Excalibur Logger instead.  I'll
go ahead and make
the appropriate change there.

Cheers,
Leif