excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Instrument status.
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:53 GMT
I finally got Instrument Client running on top of the HTTP connector. I
still
need to do a lot of testing, but so far it seems more stable and is
definitely
much more responsive than the old AltRMI version.

The client's only dependency is Framework now. It doesn't even depend on
the base Instrument jar because all communications are done via HTTP.

I have broken the HTTP specific code out into a sub-package in such a way
that the only reference directly to the HTTP classes is to instantiate the
connection instance. It should now be fairly easy to add additional
transports if the need should ever arise.

If you want to try it out, you will have to have an InstrumentManager
running
someplace with the HTTP connector. Once that is done you can run the
client as follows:

cd \containerkit\instrumentclient\
maven clean
maven
cd dev\bin
client.bat (yet to test out the client.sh script)

I have been making progress with the documentation, but there is a lot to
write. It will take a little bit more time.

The next step organization wise is to move the manager and client
projects under
the instrument directory. The current plan is to tag and then delete the
altrmi
connector. It does not sound like it was ever being used other than with the
instrument client.

Once that is done I am going to reorganize the manager interfaces. They were
designed heavily around altrmi and I can make them a lot cleaner and
easier to
understand. (There will be no changes to the instrument base classes). I
know that there are at least a few users who are using these interfaces. The
way I am planning on reworking things it should be easy for them to upgrade,
but it will require a little bit of changes to code. Any objections? I
think it
will be good to do long term. This will go along with the 2.0 version so
API changes should be OK there as well.

Cheers,
Leif