excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Instrumentation vs JMX
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:39:58 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>Sorry to ask that, but where those technologies differs?

Once I get the docs committed this should be clearer.  But
Instrumentation is designed to
capture and display collected sample data over time.  Even across JVM
invocations to
monitor how things like memory, pool sizes, request counts, response
times, etc change
and interact over time.   From what I understand.  JMX presents
snapshots of individual
data points but would require external collection of trends etc.
Instrumentation does
data collection internally in a very light weight fashion and only where
needed.  Clients
need only connect to receive snapshots of the data when it is needed.

>In fact we have disabled instrumentation in Fortress used by our project
>here. Where are you using it?

I use it very widely in most components that I write.  I run on top of
Fortress, but Fortress
is just handling the registering of my components as one of its
lifecycles.   I also use
instrumentation within servlets and struts actions.  But in those cases
I have my own base
classes which handle the registration of the instruments themselves.

Fortress on its own does not do much instrumentation.  The ECM container
did quite a bit
more and really showed off how useful an instrumented container could be
even without
instrumented components.  Unfortunately many of those features were
added as the ECM
was being deprecated so not many users have experienced it.  I have
gotten some comments
from Cocoon users where it sounded like it was fairly useful to those
who figured out how
to use it.   Once people understand Instrumentation a little better, I
may push expanding its
use in Fortress.  Docs come first though.. :-)

Cheers,
Leif