excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Question about SVN and the reworked directory hierarchy.
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:36:04 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> This kind of thing should be working, as svn works with
> global-revision-number-based changesets, and the changeset for a move is
> the logical operation "copy A to B; delete A". When you 'svn up', that
> is what should happen.

And that is precisely what does happen. However it fails to delete A as
there were files not under revision control (target/*). Modified files
also cause the update to fail with a conflict.

If you have locally modified A, subversion will
> not delete it but should issue a warning. You can then commit in the old
> location, svn up, and the "move" change is merged with the file changes.

this does not occur.

> I guess the basic rule for now is that we do not use 'svn move'.

It is fine - you just need to make sure everyone is aware of the move
and is given an opportunity to prepare their local stuff.

> Thinking about how to do this better, it is probably best for everyone
> to coordinate manually, merge in the changes, then create a branch,
> apply the changes there, then replace the trunk with the branched
> version...

sounds like way too much work.