excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Project layout
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:35:02 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Build partitioning
> ------------------
> When working with multiproject builds, I've found it very advantageous
> to not use a very flat directory structure, but actually partition up
> into several small directories, ie a deeper structure. I believe a
> useful strategy is to split things up along the axis of

I have learnt almost exactly the opposite. You can not force
dependency structure by where a source tree lives.

> I still think we should split up the repository into a few categories. I
> guess it maybe is better to just have
>
> 1) components:   the independently reusable things
> 2) fortress:     the fortress subprojects

Why is not fortress a component? It is an "independently
reusable things". At what point does a component get
migrated up?

I will say again that I think that it is best to group code
trees based on what elements will be worked on in concert.
To reiterate the main groups I see being "ecm", "fortress"
and "instrument".

> 3) deprecated:   stuff we really don't want the other projects
>                  depending on

Deprecated code should be archived up tagged and removed. We
do not want excaliburs svn repo to act as a dumping ground
for dead code.

>> * Why separate out deprecated elements?
>

> The rationale is that you can
>
>   cd components
>   maven multiproject:install
>
> and make sure you're not using any deprecated materials.

That is not true. The deperecated components will be sucked
from local repo anyways so this makes no difference.