excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Future Compatible Attributes
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:44:31 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Attributes, or Meta Info, has been around in various libraries for a
> while.  The first foray into it that I can recall was with none other
> than the Phoenix code at Avalon.  That said, Java 1.5 has a version of
> keeping meta info that has a slightly different syntax than any of the
> dedicated libraries support.  If there is any way to use a library that
> supports Java 1.5 meta info as it is declared and used, then our users
> won't have to change when they use these attributes in their own code.
> This is a very important point as changes to user code is far more
> reaching than changes to our code.
>
> I am only vaguely familiar with the offerings, but we now have a spec
> for the Java 1.5 attributes.  Perhaps, if we have any control or
> influence with a library, we can get them to support syntax that is
> similar.

Theres no stable released project that uses a jdk1.5-like
model for attributes (and only one semi-developed one). And
there is no direct compatibility that I am aware of (though
this may have changed in the last few months).

It would be a lot of work to adapt a toolkit that reads and
writes jdk1.5 attributes but I am not sure it will happen.
jdk1.5 is just too close.