excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject AOP != Interceptors (was: something else...)
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:23:39 GMT
hammett wrote:
>>>However I would also be very concerned that one of the many numerous
>>>"AOP" toolktis were not considered.
>>
>>same here...bob lee's is supposed to be good...
>
> AOP != Interceptors

true. AOP is an overused buzzword, interceptors are a useful and proven
technique ;)

> Interceptors can be explained as an around-joins, but they are more than
> that.

well, actually, you can implement various joins using interceptors (I
think the only thing you can't do using java proxies and interceptors is
caller-side aspecting or property aspecting), and people have.

If you look inside an "AOP toolkit", you'll see its often just a way to
manage the creation of interceptor chains. I think Nanning and
AspectWerkz even have an Interceptor class :-D

cheers,

- LSD