excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Another Development List?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:54:18 GMT
hammett wrote:

> [...]

The things I am concerned about that are occuring in the
main branch are thinks like duplication of the source trees
(see containerkit/**) - presumably an effort to reorganize
but without discussion.

My bunch of modification are being committed the the branch
wisely
> called 'fortress-experiments'.
> After finalized I'll explain what I did, why I did (the use cases) and ask
> for opinions. If everybody likes it, I might merge it back to the main
> trunk, but at the moment I really need to get job done ASAP - yes, I have a
> gun pointed to my head again! :-)

I also think that this is less than optimal. You can keep
developing on the branch by your own but it is going to be
hard to claim that it is a group effort and hard to get it
accepted by everyone.

For example I think it is far more useful to move to a
single attribute toolkit (be that commons-attributes or
metaclass or whatever) rather than a hodge podge of existing
solutions. I am fairly familiar with the area (I was the
primary author of metaclass) and it would have been good to
seek feedback before it is done. I assume there is areas
that other excalibur people could offer advice on. By
seeking their advice you are more likely to get buy in and
more likely to have other people working on the project. Not
doing this is just going to drive people away.

If excalibur is not going to be a community based project
then I am not sure what purpose it will serve or value it
will give.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald