excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: questions: release management scripts
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:04:22 GMT
Mauro Talevi wrote:
> I would find it useful to have rc's and beta's also in the main dist.

infrastructure wouldn't appreciate that very much. You have to
understand that www.apache.org/dist/ is mirrored to -- I think -- over a
100 sites. That's a lot of bandwidth, diskspace, etc. We try to be nice
to our mirrors and only send them content that'll be around for a long time.

So the policy as laid down by infrastructure is "only final releases".
Where "final" means "should stay up for several years and be mirrored
worldwide".

> Snapshots and dev releases can be deployed to the user areas,
> tut then again it would be difficult to share these when building other
> projects, because one would have to add the user dist to the maven repo
> list.

The idea with dev and snapshot releases has historically been to keep
them on cvs.apache.org/dist, which is not mirrored. I have this idea
that we keep our maven repo right in subversion, as its so damn
convenient to have a unified interface into most stuff, and it also
makes all the "due deligence" (who the **** uploaded that javamail jar
there? A-hah! How dare you!?) stuff automatic.

> Perhaps, we could define a flag like
> maven.deploy.type={release|user}
> that takes care of setting the deployBase, which would by default be set
> to release, and only when someone does not want to do a public release
> it will be set to user.

could work; I'd prefer having this the other way around (ie if you mess
up, no files go to www.apache.org/dist).

>> To deploy the artifacts you add something like the following  into
>> your ~/build.properties or you can specify it on command line.
>>
>> maven.username=donaldp
>> maven.privatekey=C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application
>> Data\SSH\UserKeys\PeterHome
>
> Which keyserver did you use to send the private key?

no keyserver. SSH key is passed to 'ssh' command for connecting to the
server. GPG key is a different thing alltogether. It has a "keyring"
stored on your local machine that's used by the "gpg" command. The
public part of your GPG key goes into a file named KEYS that we need to
put in SVN and in the distribution directory.

cheers,

- LSD