excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: questions: release management scripts
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:23:52 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> it just grows out of control...where's my
>
>  * prerequisite check
>  * argument validation
>  * error recovery
>  * sensible defaults
>
> should I write all that in xml?

Should you write it at all?

> the commands are right here:
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/ReleaseManagement
>   http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonReleaseManagerHowto

Egads. Some of this is not good. You can not reproduce a
build from a tag which kinda defeats the purpose of a tag
IMHO. Each separate component is not independent as they
reference things outside their build hierarchy (even if it
is just the parent project file). My suggestions is when you
tag that you copy the entire trunk into tags directory.
Something like

svn copy \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/tags/MyComponent-Version-Release

> question: if its so easy, why can't I find any examples of projects like
> ours which have all this already done? Do you have any?

I have several and I know of others but few are as anal and
bogged down in politics as the Avalon process so most use
slight modifications of the dist/release plugin. Mauro has
worked a bit on the release plugin so maybe able to shed a
bit of a better udnerstanding on it?

Anyhow I will check in a basic maven.xml to perform basics
of release process. I will skip generating mails and mailing
them out as I think that is something a user should do.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is
to yield to it." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)