excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur != Component Repository
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:10:15 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> This is turning into a Frequently Asked Question! :-D
>
> IMHO, as discussed in the
>
>   [RT] so...many...components...
>
> thread, and evidenced in the board resolution for excalibur and the
> discussion that led to that resolution, this is the answer:
>
> Carsten writes:
>  > will Excalibur also provide a component repository for
>  > useful components or do we leave that to other places?
>
> Right now, excalibur /does/ provide a component repository. We inherited
> it from avalon.
>
> Some of those components need to live. Others can die. Some will live
> here, some will live elsewhere.
>
> In the future, excalibur will /not/ provide a component repository.
> Excalibur will provide a kick-ass IOC container or two, and perhaps some
> related materials.

Perhaps it would be useful to structure the svn repo to reflect the
excalibur missing statement:

- leave the at top-level the container projects, like fortress, and
move the components to a excalibur/components directory.

- also maybe separate the components that the containers rely on from
the components that are hosted the benefit of other projects.

While on the subject of repo structure and the likes, some of the
components have a separate tests project (eg component, container,
logger).  I would describe the tests as an integral part of a given
project, not a separate project in itself.  Infact, maven expects
the tests as part of the build process.
Any objections to moving the tests to the src/test directory of the
appropriate project?

Cheers