excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject excalibur-instrument
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:08:40 GMT
Hi,

looking at the three top-level excalibur instrument projects -
instrument, instrument-client, instrument-manager - it seems they could
do with a bit of a consolidation, as follows:

- have a single top-level excalibur instrument project with the subprojects:
	- api
	- impl
	- http
	- altrmi
	- client

- api would contain what is currently in instrument and
instrument-manager/spi projects, under the pacakge
org.apache.excalibur.instrument
I don't really understand the rationale for the spi subproject,
as it the  org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager.interfaces package
contains a mix of interfaces, classes and utils.
Perhaps I'm missing something.  Can somebody shed some light?

- the other subprojects would be as the are now, simply moved to a new
filestructure that would allow to build the instrument related
jars in a single multiproject command.

Also, the maven groupId for these artifacts already reflects this
structure - being excalibur-instrument.

As for back-compatibility, my understanding is that 1.2 has not been
released yet.  Is that correct?  Anybody know of current users of 1.2?

On a more general note, I'd like to move towards a version convention
that uses -dev postfix for any version in current development and
set exact version only for realeased versions.

Thoughts?

Cheers