excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: Eclipse, Maven and Excalibur - Carsten?
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:19:07 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can use subclipse with RC3, you have to use the update manager
> of Eclipse and enter http://www.loonsoft.com/updates
> as an update site url and can then install subclipse. It works
> but you can only update, commit, checkout and edit properties.
> Now comparing or syncing yet :(

I think they've been waiting for Eclipse 3.0 release to finally freeze
the SCM API.

> Unfortunately the eclipse support of Maven is only for simple projects
> afaik, so multiprojects are out of question. Currently I'm doing both:
> sometimes I add each sub project of a multiproject as an eclipse
> project, so I can use "maven eclipse". And sometimes I edit the project
> files of Eclipse by hand which means I add all jars by hand which is
> in the case of Excalibur a lot of work to do.
> If I ever get time I will try to add the multiproject support to
> the Eclipse plugin for Maven, but who knows when that will be :(

same here - I've been thinking about adding multiproject support for a
long time, but since it's very easy to just edit the top-level
.classpath file, it gets pushed way down the line of  priorities.

> Now, we could add the Eclipse project files to our svn if we want. If
> we use variables for the paths in the eclipse project then this should
> work for everyone using eclipse.

only MAVEN_REPO should be needed.
The only problem with checking in the project files is that .classpath
holds both the jars and the src dirs info.
And if one puts in the top-level excalibur root, one gets swamped with
both jars and src dirs.
Perhaps a good compromise is checking in the files only for the
excalibur components/containers which have subcomponets/subprojects.

eg for fortress it would be at the
excalibur/fortress and it would cater for all its components/sub-projects.
Likewise, for other biggies, etc ...

Cheers