excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: More on SVN/CVS/gump/building excalibur
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:16:04 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I think the biggest I've seen was the site generation not working in some
> releases. IIRC the RC1 didn't work and we had to go back to beta 10 due
> these problem.
>
> The other problem, but that's more an overall felling, is the complexity
> that some builds requires. While in Ant is relative simple to express an
> intention, in Maven things could get very complex.
>
> But if you say you haven't had any problems, specially after RC1, then I can
> fell more comfortably about it ;-)

Hi,

while it's true that there were some issues (not major in my experience)
in the beta versions, I haven't experienced any showstoppers in the RCs.

But I think that at the end of the days it boils down to what you think
of the whole approach to project building.
Some people appreciate Maven a lot (me among them),
having gone through the pains of building complex multi-component
projects with plain Ant.
Some people think it's over-engineered and too complex.
I personally feel that the advantages of Maven outweigh the problems
one may have.
And - if worst comes to worst - if something does not work one can
always implements whatever is needed in plain Ant though Maven,
so one really looses nothing of Ant in using Maven.
One is not obliged to generate the site using xdoc, but may do so
if it convenenient.

Cheers