excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: component matrix
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:40:59 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> C2 -- Similar story: lack of maintainance, lack of documentation, lack
>        of tests, lack of users. Primary user, cocoon, is as a
> group not
>        very interested in helping to improve the state of
> this package.
>        Again, I know of no good replacement; the only packages I know
>        in the same problem space are either commercial
> (JCache) or very
>        different (prevayler).

I could imagine that Cocoon will move away from this package and start
using their own approach. Nevertheless, a store package is imho a very
nice think that you can need in every project. The avalon-components
project has a similar approach from cornerstone.
THere has always been the idea of merging both packages. Perhaps
we could try this again?
One of the problems of the store package is imho that it just works. THere
is no real need to improve or document it (things that are working are
always bad for open source as no community builds around it).

> C3 -- More of the same. Complex package to maintain. Since some people
>        are using it, not a good idea to deprecate. But really
> want to see
>        maintainers besides Carsten (who is too busy :-D).

LOL, yes, but who of us is not too busy?

The xmlutils package is a very nice one (I think) and it has imho the
same problem as store: it works

We could try for both packages to ask the Cocoon community if they can
help us with the two packages: write docs etc. Perhaps we get a positive
answer.

Carsten