excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Getting to the point of excalibur
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:39:17 GMT

Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira  wrote:

> > Can you give some use cases or scenarios where you need
> your version
> > of a discovery strategy?
>
> Hey, I'm not saying that we should use the ServiceTemplate
> strategy as it is. But I'm saying that only a hint may not be
> enough :-)

Yes, I understand that :) (I just tried to be a little bit picky
about it...)

> Do you want use cases, uh? Hmmm..
>
> Server side instant messaging application. As new versions of
> client application are release there are a few differences
> implemented in the protocol (and new features). After the
> registration, the server may ask through lookup
>
> LookupCriteria criteria = new LookupCriteria(
> ClientProtocolHandler.class );
> criteria.add("protocol-version", "4.2.1.0");
> criteria.add("firewalled", Boolean.FALSE );
>
> WDYT?

Ah, ok, I see. Ok, of course you could build one big key out
of this - but that would be very ugly. Agreed.

Now, what do you think of:

lookup(Class service , Object key);

In my case the key is a String, in your case it's a lookup
criteria object.
For the client this is a simple call - not necessarily the
need to create a criteria object etc. if strings are sufficient.
And if you need complexer things it's still possible.

Carsten