excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: component matrix
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:00:03 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > I came to the conclusion that we should simply keep them
> and improve them.
> > Which means, remove things that are not really necessary,
> improve docs etc.
> > And then we can provide them as a "core component package" or
> > something like that which is an optional package of highly useful
> > components. And this would include sourceresolver.
> >
> > If we keep them, I will try to improve the docs and fix all build
> > problems
> > :)
> >
> > So, WDYT?
>
> In general I am in agreement, however we need more than just
> you working on them.
Sure

> Do you think a 2.0 release with simply
> removing deprecated things is in order?
Unfortunately there isn't much deprecated. But I think it's not used anyway.
So the proper way would be, deprecating, releasing, removing, releasing.
I'm not sure if it's worth to go this way or if simply removing and
releasing then would be enough (as a 2.0).

> The biggest issue we have with the XMLUtils build is getting
> the libs for the disparate items.
Yepp. Perhaps we could use mock objects?

> The only thing that
> XMLUtils provides that really isn't covered by JAXP is XPath
> expression utility abstraction.
> Any modern parser or transformer can be accessed through the
> JAXP API, so another layer on top of that just doesn't seem
> worth it to me.  But that is just my oppinion.
Yes, I understand this argument, but in a component environment
getting a parser component and using it is imho nicer than
fiddeling with the jaxp api. But of course, this is my opinion :)

> XPath is useful, but to a much more limited audience than
> general parsing/transformation.
Agreed

> Of course I may be moving on faulty memory (wouldn't be the
> first time), so if there is more in there let me know.

No, we have the sax and the dom parser, the xslt processor,
the xmlizer, the xpath component and some helper classes/interfaces
like XMLizable and XMLConsumer.

Carsten