excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: component matrix
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:27:04 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> > THere has always been the idea of merging both [store] packages.
> > Perhaps we could try this again?
>
> uhm. Sure....who feels like doing the work? Where does the
> merged package go?

If there is interest I would try it. Perhaps at avalon-components?

> The problem is that both excalibur-store and
> cornerstone-store have users, and an incompatible interface.
> If the primary user for excalibur-store is going away, this
> might be more trouble than ts worth....

Agreed.

> > One of the problems of the store package is imho that it
> just works.
> > THere is no real need to improve or document it (things that are
> > working are always bad for open source as no community
> builds around it).
>
> there is a need to document it and have tests for it. I'd
> like to have high quality stuff, and measurable high quality.
> Point taken though.
>
> > The xmlutils package is a very nice one (I think) and it
> has imho the
> > same problem as store: it works
>
> xmlutils is just a big headache package for me, and there's
> apparently no-one with the ability and time to make that
> headache go away. The tests have been failing for many, many months.
>
> These packages "just work" if you know how to use them. If
> not, trouble.
> And they don't "just build". And people like me and Niclas
> keep wasting energy changing that.

Ok, my personal trouble with this package has always been
that it didn't build with the build system we had. So I simply
used Eclipse (being a little bit lasy). Once we have finally
decided for one build system, I expect that things get better
for this package!

What I don't understand is: if someone adds tests to a package
why he isn't interested anymore if they are running or not. So
the question for me is: who added the test?

> > We could try for both packages to ask the Cocoon community
> if they can
> > help us with the two packages: write docs etc. Perhaps we get a
> > positive answer.
>
> Did that already didn't we? I'm sure some cocooners are
> reading along; I know I did sent such a message out a week or
> two ago to dev@cocoon, as I did a year ago. All cocooners
> have write access to our repository. The barrier is as small
> as we can make it. People oughtta know by now there's some
> dying code over here.

Hmm, true. Ok, now this questions is for me combined with another
question: will Excalibur also provide a component repository for
useful components or do we leave that to other places?
If we want to have repository I would say, let's keep xmlutils
and store and sourceresolver - if not, let's archive these things
and see what will happen.

Carsten