excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: i18n Deprecation
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:41:17 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > I'm not against it - the only thing that bites me a little
> bit is that
> > (if I'm not mistaken) Fortress currently requires i18n, so
> the changes
> > you propose would require that Fortress depends on salt. In
> general I
> > have nothing against such dependencies but I would like to
> have as few
> > external dependencies for Fortress as possible.
> > So perhaps we should consider removing the dependency to i18n from
> > Fortress first?
>
> If I am not mistaken this would involve removing dependencies
> across almost every codebase in Excalibur as Fortress
> transitively touches a chunk of em. Certainly possible if
> none of these components are ever used in non-English
> locations but I think theres going to need to be others who
> are willing to help zap the support to do that ;)

Hmm, I haven't looked at it, but I don't know where Fortress or
any other excalibur package really uses i18n.
If, however, it makes sense to have i18n in Fortress, than I
would prefer if that wouldn't require an external dependency.
But this is just a preference; if it makes more sense to use
salt there than let's use it.

Carsten