excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: questions: release management scripts
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 05:11:23 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> <ant:exec ../>

it just grows out of control...where's my

  * prerequisite check
  * argument validation
  * error recovery
  * sensible defaults

should I write all that in xml?

>>  * writing "interactive" maven plugins / ant tasks / java code is very
>>    awkward
>
> <i:ask question="Are you sure?" answer="result"
> xmlns:i="jelly:interaction"/>

that /is/ neat.

>> for sure, it can be done with maven, but *I* don't know how to do it
>> properly (I can show you some experiments which failed miserably if
>> you want).
>
> Give me a sample gpg command line and I can show you how to do it.

the commands are right here:

   http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/ReleaseManagement
   http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonReleaseManagerHowto

for gpg its something like

     cd releases
     for i in `ls`; do
       gpg -v --output $i.asc --detach-sig --armor $i
     done

> Or maybe just write a handful of tags in xml?

you really think it'd just be a handful? My experience when writing the
forrest plugin is that you write hundreds of lines...and there's no
debugger...

...maybe that's just my limited jelly/maven/ant knowledge. I'd love to
be proven wrong. If you can give me a few nudges in the right direction
I might be tempted to try again.

question: if its so easy, why can't I find any examples of projects like
ours which have all this already done? Do you have any?

- LSD