excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject questions: release management scripts
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:37:14 GMT
Hi gang!

I'm wondering whether I should invest some time into automating most of
our release process, how much I should automate, and how I should do it.

I think I want something that:
  * other people can use
  * other people can maintain
  * improves productivity
  * automates everything but the entry of the relevant
    passwords
  * can be "stepped through" in some kind of interactive mode so you
    can manually check the results of each step
  * can interact with svn
  * can interact with www.apache.org/dist
  * can interact with maven properly and read the maven.xml file
  * can send e-mail

I'm thinking of writing some ruby or python scripts. Does anyone else
know those languages? I think the only alternatives are either bash or
bash embedded into ant/maven <exec/> targets. There's a few things we
need (svn, ssh/scp, pgp) that are just not easy to do from java, and
hence, ant/maven.

Does anyone have any useful scripts lying around for things like tagging
svn, generating md5 and .asc files, interacting with
www.apache.org/dist, etc?

cheers,

-LSD