excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Components and Handlers
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:58:00 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
> Having a separated handler for POJOs and other for Avalon would kill us if
> the user'd like to code his components using both of them. Ok, so now we can
> make the AvalonHandler extends PojoHandler.

better use delegation.

> That's fine. Now we'd like to
> write a InterceptorHandler that gives components interceptors/aop
> capabilities. We should extend what?

what is interceptor capability? If you want to add interceptors you add
interceptors.

> Creating a chain of handler can solve this situation, or composing them. But
> this can be a bit harsh to configure, don't you think?

Not really. Can use a builder pattern for example.

handler = myHandlerBuilder
   .newHandler( MyBasicHandlerImplementation.class )
   .addInterceptor( MyAdvice.class )
   .enableConstructorDependencyInjection()
   .enableAvalon()
   .enableLifecycleExtension( MyLifecycleExtension.class )
   .create();

or whatever. Have all the composition is behind the scenes (which is
also not /that/ difficult to implement well).

> Speaking of thinking,
> what do you guys think? ;-)

Me:
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/jicarilla/IocContainerInternals
http://jicarilla.sourceforge.net/jicarilla-container-class-diagram.gif
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/container/api/src/java/org/jicarilla/container/Attic/package.html?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.2

Berin:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/d-haven/dojo/core-j15/src/java/org/d_haven/dojo/

Some others:
http://cvs.picocontainer.codehaus.org/java/picocontainer/src/java/org/picocontainer/?only_with_tag=MX_PROPOSAL

googling for '"Leo Simons" container' or something like that should pop
up a whole lot of thoughts from a while back ;)

> (Btw I'm not trying to push this model here, just asking for opinions.)

hehehe :D

You (and Leo Sutic :-D ) are not so far from what in my current thinking
is the best architecture. Berin is a few steps ahead of me; Pico nor the
current fortress are actually /that/ different when you get down to it.

In fact, I decided pico was "good enough" in terms of architecture and
"a whole lot better" in terms of community and maturity so I rm -Rfed my
own container experiments and joined Paul 'n Aslak 'n friends. /If/ a
from-scratch-rewrite of fortress is a good idea (I'm not so sure that it
is), I think it would be a good idea to start with pico and build on that.

- LSD