excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur != Component Repository
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:33:52 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
>> yes, a big one. There are quite a few bad tests from an age long gone
>> (when few people knew how to /unit/ test). They introduce (among other
>> things) a lot more, complex, dependencies. The tests that have been
>> split out use testcase which uses component which uses...it's just ugly.
>>
>> If you would like them out of the way, that's okay; create something
>> like "legacy-tests" and stuff it in there. But please don't merge them
>> back in.
>

> Hmm ... looking at the code I see it is crap. I would completely remove
> the logger tests as they dont test anything (and still dont work), have
> never been maintained and are completely pointless. Why someone has gone
> to the effort of migrating them out (rather than just nuking em) is
> completely beyond me.

That "someone" is me...
Background; Build situation in avalon-excalibur is a nightmare, it is
impossible to build everything, without major surgery between steps,
mainly due to Atest dependsOn B dependsOn A.
So, without looking into what the tests were for, and not pondering
one part over another, a codebase-wide "untangling" of cyclic
dependencies was performed. On the basis; Bad Tests are better than
Code That Doesn't Compile. :o)

Cheers
Niclas