excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: excalibur-instrument
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:24:19 GMT
Mauro Talevi wrote:
> looking at the three top-level excalibur instrument projects -
> instrument, instrument-client, instrument-manager - it seems they could
> do with a bit of a consolidation

uhuh. Leif's also on it, I think.

> As for back-compatibility, my understanding is that 1.2 has not been
> released yet.  Is that correct?

yes. If there's a file at

http://www.apache.org/dist/

(for now, existing releases are @ http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/)

it's a release, otherwise its not.

> Anybody know of current users of 1.2?

I dunno. But there's no official release, no cvs tag, so no need to
worry. There is no 1.2, just lousy bookkeeping in svn.

> On a more general note, I'd like to move towards a version convention
> that uses -dev postfix for any version in current development and
> set exact version only for realeased versions.
>
> Thoughts?

standards are good. Don't really care whether its -dev, -alpha, -beta,
-gamma, -..... I think -dev is becoming more and more common; problem
with it may be the difficulty in having multiple -dev prereleases. Maybe...

-dev for stuff in CVS (never distributed to any repo)

-alpha1, -alpha2, -alpha$n -beta1, -beta$n, -rc$1, -rc$n
      for prereleases (might be distributed)

'' no suffix for final releases (official signed distros)

...would be nice to get some standards written up on the wiki.

I also like the idea of going back to less independent versions (pico
does this now, with a common project.(properties|xml) for several
subprojects, it works handy dandy). Maybe according to the restructured
repo you proposed?

- LSD