excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Concerns about dependency creep
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:08:43 GMT
It appears that Fortress is suffering from dependency creep.  For a
longer explanation of what I am referring to look at:

http://www.jroller.com/comments/bloritsch/Weblog/dependency_creep

Specifically, either Fortress Container IMPL or Fortress Container API
has dependencies on Commons Logging and Commons Bean Util where it
didn't use to.  I really have no problems with either of these libraries
except the fact that if you compile an existing project using the new
Fortress libraries you will receive no compilation problems--but if you
run it, you will find that it doesn't work.  That's bad.

I am sure there is a reason for including these libraries, although I
missed what it was in the past.  The need to include Commons Logging
or having Fortress fail baffles me beyond reason.  Fortress already
has a logging abstraction, so why do we need two in the same system?

Do you think we can make a case to remove any dependency that can easily
be done in house?  It just seems like building on sand (a Stefano
complaint) and I don't particularly like having a bazillion things to
depend on just to build another framework.

                 - Rich Cook