excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [RT] About proxies and pooling
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:00:57 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Shash Chatterjee wrote:
>

>>On a related issue, I have found that the choice betwen
>>java.lang.Proxy proxies and BCEL proxies are important.  A
>>lot of people dislike byte-code-modified classes, all though
>>that argument might be deemed bordering somewhere between
>>technical and religious.
>>

> Hmm, just curious. If we would create BCEL proxies wouldn't
> the performance problem go away?

There is BCEL proxy generating code in there already (still some
minor issues, but decent enough).

The BCEL code was significantly faster than reflection based
dynamic proxies, but there is still a considerable overhead to
BCEL proxies.  I can't remember if the price was 5 to 1 or 3 to 1
for the BCEL proxies.

                 - Rich Cook