excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [RT] About proxies and pooling
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:01:45 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> During the request the pooled components are stored somewhere (thread local
> for example) and when the request is finished they are released.
>
> This mechanism is only required for pooled or single threaded components,
> thread safe components don't need this extra behaviour.
>
> This would allow the client to lookup a component in service() and just
> use it and the underlying logic takes care that you don't get threading
> problems.

This is basically the way that I tend to do things and the
way I suggested when Cocoon2 was still in it's embryonic
stages. There were basically three complaints about it IIRC
(Although Berin may be able to remember more?). One
basically translated into whats now called the "too much
magic" argument, the other was performance and the last was
that it disabled "advanced resource control". The advanced
resource control could be summed up in the following scenario;

//Start Job
for( int i = 0; i < 100; i++ )
{
     final X x =
       rm.lookupResource( X.class.getName() + "/" + i );
     use( x );
}
//End Job

The problem is that under the naive implementaiton of the
proxy magic you would end up maintaining 100 references to
underlying resource while you were performing the job
whereas in this scenario you only need to access 1 at any
one time (and up to 99 sit marked as used but actually idle).

My suggestion was that you allow a release mechanism but
dont make it required by default. ie In DNA we have a
ReleaseUtil.release() for just this purpose.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald