excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: i18n Deprecation
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:07:44 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> I too am wondering what the benefits of salt are over i18n.   I make
>  heavy use of it in most applications that I have/am developing.
> Switching is not out of the question. But it would burn some time,
> especially if the apis are different.   I would just want to make
> sure it is worth it.

You can still use the (proposed to be) deprecated I18N package from
Excalibur in existing products, while switching to Salt with all
current Excalibur packages.  Things will continue to run just fine
without having to do the work immediately.

> Yes I know that I could continue using the current jar.  But I always
>  end up finding a bug when I try using deprecated code...

Which is to help encourage to move on to the new code.  But it really
doesn't help to burn time and energy on something that nobody is
currently actively maintaining.  It's been months since any meaningful
change to I18N has been made.

Peter, how is the test suite on Salt?  I know it is nearly non-existant
with I18N.

> If you want to switch Fortress over, I don't see where that would
> affect anyone. Other than the dependencies, it is all internal. So I
> am neutral on that.

Right, so for most users it won't affect them at all.  It would affect
me with the GUIApp application, but I am not really happy with the I18N
support in that anyway.

I may have to think long and hard about how it would make sense to do
for that type of application.

                 - Rich Cook