excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject [howto] website
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:45:15 GMT
Gang,

     {{{http://excalibur.apache.org/}}}

now has a fancy maven-built website.

= Updating the website =

Is done roughly like this. Should probably automate more.

  * maybe edit {{{trunk/buildsystem/project-common.xml}}}
  * maybe edit {{{contents of trunk/site/xdocs/}}}
  * generate site:
     {{{
     cd trunk/site
     maven site
     }}}

  * copy to site location in svn
     {{{
     cp -r target/docs/* ../../site
     }}}

  * add and commit svn files
     {{{
     cd ../../site
     # this can probably be done cleaner using import...
     find | xargs svn add -q
     svn commit -m "New version of generated site"
     }}}

  * optionally update files on the server (or wait 4 hours)
     {{{
     ssh minotaur.apache.org
     ~leosimons/bin/excalibur-site-up.sh
     }}}
  * maybe check contents of
     {{{
     http://excalibur.apache.org/svnuplog.txt
     }}}
    to make sure nothing went wrong, and check the website.

= Please, keep valid urls valid =

IMNHSO its quite important that URLs keep working once you've created
them. This doesn't mean stuff can't move around. Rather, add Redirect or
RedirectMatch (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html)
directives to the file site/.htaccess in subversion as you move files
around. It's real easy to do, just follow along with the samples. In
particular, the file
     {{{
     /www/jakarta.apache.org/.htaccess
     }}}
on minotaur.apache.org should be a good source for inspiration. Some
extensive redirecting is going on there!

= XDoc format =

Maven uses the "xdoc" format first promoted by anakia. It's pretty easy
to figure out what to do from looking at the existing content (which is
probably how most people learn it).

= Look and feel =

We currently are just using the maven defaults. If someone feels like
changing those, take a look at

  * http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc/properties.html
  * http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Site_Generation

= Javadocs =

We don't have javadocs generation yet. Does anyone know a good way to
make that work for our multiple source directories using maven?

= Clover reports =

I've asked The Cortex for a free clover license for excalibur. Once I
get a reply we can look into getting these up.

= Autogenerated site? =

Once we get these basics figured out, I'd like to have cronjob set up
somewhere which automatically updates the site each night. Anyone have
experience with that?

= So how does it work? =

The content of

   http://excalibur.apache.org/

is a checkout of the SVN materials at

   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/site/

that is refreshed every 4 hours using a simple shell script that runs in
my account. To change the contents of the site, commit changes to the
svn location and wait 4 hours. Alternatively, log in to the machine
using SSH and run
   {{{
   sh ~lsimons/bin/excalibur-site-up.sh
   }}}
(for which you need to be in the excalibur unix group.)

The log of the latest invocation of that script is made available at
   {{{
   http://excalibur.apache.org/svnuplog.txt
   }}}
Manually change the contents of the
   {{{
   /www/excalibur.apache.org
   }}}
directory (where the live site lives) only with much caution.

The xdoc generation process in maven is handled by the xdoc plugin,

    http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc/

which itself uses Anakia,

    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html

which is a thin wrapper (ant task) around velocity:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/

----

cheers,

- Leo