excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: component matrix
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:30:53 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I came to the conclusion that we should simply keep them and improve them.
> Which means, remove things that are not really necessary, improve docs etc.
> And then we can provide them as a "core component package" or something like
> that which is an optional package of highly useful components. And this
> would
> include sourceresolver.
>
> If we keep them, I will try to improve the docs and fix all build problems
> :)
>
> So, WDYT?

In general I am in agreement, however we need more than just you working
on them.  Do you think a 2.0 release with simply removing deprecated
things is in order?

The biggest issue we have with the XMLUtils build is getting the libs
for the disparate items.  The only thing that XMLUtils provides that
really isn't covered by JAXP is XPath expression utility abstraction.
Any modern parser or transformer can be accessed through the JAXP API,
so another layer on top of that just doesn't seem worth it to me.  But
that is just my oppinion.

XPath is useful, but to a much more limited audience than general
parsing/transformation.

Of course I may be moving on faulty memory (wouldn't be the first time),
so if there is more in there let me know.

                 - Rich Cook