excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject i18n Deprecation
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:55:52 GMT
Hi,

The next step in deprecation I would like to do is i18n. I
would like to see this nuked from excalibur in the long
term. It would be replaced with spice-salt which is almost
identical functionality. (http://spice.codehaus.org/salt)

Spice-salt differs from excalibur-i18n in that salt binds
resources to ClassLoader of associated class rather than in
a static map. This means that application servers like Loom
dont have to worry about different classes with the same
name corrupting each other. Things also get a lot easier in
Servlet environments if salt is in a common classloader.
Except in those scenarios there should be no changes for users.

The steps I would follow are;

* Bump version of i18n project
* Deprecate i18n source code
* Release new version of i18n with deprecation warnings
* Update all existing users of excalibur-i18n to use spice-salt
* Add subversion tag (Pre-i18n-Delete)
* svn rm i18n
* Document deprecation and where to migrate to (spice-salt)

Any thoughts and/or objections?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making
a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)