excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Who wrote xmlutil,store,etc and who maintains it?
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:42:43 GMT
XMLUTIL
-------
Carsten wrote:
 > What I don't understand is: if someone adds tests to a package
 > why he isn't interested anymore if they are running or not. So
 > the question for me is: who added the test?

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-sandbox/excalibur-old-materials/xmlutil/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/xml/test/Attic/DefaultDOMHandlerFactoryTestCase.java?hideattic=0
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-sandbox/excalibur-old-materials/xmlutil/src/test/org/apache/excalibur/xml/xpath/test/Attic/JaxenTestCase.java?hideattic=0
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-sandbox/excalibur-old-materials/xmlutil/src/test/org/apache/excalibur/xml/xpath/test/Attic/XPathTestCase.java?hideattic=0

Mircea Toma, Vadim Gritsenko, Bruno Dumon each added tests.

After that you can see Jeff Turner, Berin Loritsch, Carsten Ziegeler,
Peter Donald, Leo Sutic, Leo Simons, and others make some real small
changes (code reformatting, license changes, buildfile updates) but
no-one ever adds a test. From the scattered CVS logs, it seems the last
actual changes to the package were roughly 22 months ago.

It seems to me that the package has strong ties to code that originated
in cocoon:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-1/src/org/apache/cocoon/xml/?hideattic=0#dirlist

 From cursory investigation it appears the package was initially
rewritten from even older code, to be used in cocoon-2. In cocoon, you
can see half a dozen people (Stefano, Pier, Berin, Davanum, PeterD, you,
Giacomo, ...) working on all this actively. That activity seems to drop
as soon as the package is moved to avalon, and goes to near-zero soon after.

STORE
-----
This is the oldest Store.java I could find:

http://giraffe.student.utwente.nl/viewcvs/java-old-repo/java-whiteboard/src/java/org/apache/java/store/Store.java

among many other archived things, like a 5-year-old pico (!):

http://giraffe.student.utwente.nl/viewcvs/java-old-repo/java-picoserver/

Who, how, what?
---------------
if you try hard enough and use a industry-size source code comparator,
I'm sure you can trace a lot of code in excalibur down to stuff that was
written at about the same time as the initial JServ code.

The majority of that really old code was written by people with names
like Stefano, Pier, Craig, Vadim, and Peter (looking at the cvs logs).
Java was just getting out of the diaper phase. Other people took that
code and ran away with it. In the turbulent world of ever-expanding
java, its impossible to figure all that out (our current day Store
interface has lived in over a dozen CVS locations).

Most of these people have moved on to write other things. Don't expect
them to come back and fix a testcase.

cheers,

- LSD