excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: component matrix
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:11:18 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
> THere has always been the idea of merging both [store] packages. Perhaps
> we could try this again?

uhm. Sure....who feels like doing the work? Where does the merged
package go?

The problem is that both excalibur-store and cornerstone-store have
users, and an incompatible interface. If the primary user for
excalibur-store is going away, this might be more trouble than ts worth....

> One of the problems of the store package is imho that it just works. THere
> is no real need to improve or document it (things that are working are
> always bad for open source as no community builds around it).

there is a need to document it and have tests for it. I'd like to have
high quality stuff, and measurable high quality. Point taken though.

> The xmlutils package is a very nice one (I think) and it has imho the
> same problem as store: it works

xmlutils is just a big headache package for me, and there's apparently
no-one with the ability and time to make that headache go away. The
tests have been failing for many, many months.

These packages "just work" if you know how to use them. If not, trouble.
And they don't "just build". And people like me and Niclas keep wasting
energy changing that.

> We could try for both packages to ask the Cocoon community if they can
> help us with the two packages: write docs etc. Perhaps we get a positive
> answer.

Did that already didn't we? I'm sure some cocooners are reading along; I
know I did sent such a message out a week or two ago to dev@cocoon, as I
did a year ago. All cocooners have write access to our repository. The
barrier is as small as we can make it. People oughtta know by now
there's some dying code over here.

cheers!

- LSD