excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: [vote] build system
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:47:21 GMT
I was not sure if it had just been my lack of maven knowledge.   But
when I did my first
build of this new repository.  There were a fer jars that Maven was not
able to locate
ibiblio.   I think it was for licensing reasons, but I had to go hunting
for them myself.  I
was able to get things working by placing the correctly named jars into
the local maven
repository directories that maven had already created prior to
attempting to download
the jars itself.

Setting up a secondary repository would probably be a better option as
it would make
it easier to get things working on another machine later...

Now that I have finally gotten maven up and running, I am starting to
get used to it.
I don't think that I am aware of the '+'s yet to give it a fair vote.

Maven negatives:
-I have found it to be slower than Ant when I just want to try and
compile my jars as
I am doing development.
-The commands to execute maven goals tend to be longer than their ant
equivalents.
-The 'maven -g' command is not very useful.  It tells you every possible
thing that
maven can do.   I liked the 'ant -projecthelp' command because it told
you what
tasks were useful to the current project.   When I don't know how to
build a given
project (especially as a new maven user)  I could not easily figure out
what I was
supposed to have been doing to build the jars.  Now I know it is simply
'maven jar:install'  or 'maven multiproject:install' to build a series
of projects in
subdirectories.

-Maven positives.
-There are a lot features built in. (site docs, reports, etc.)
-The builds are consistent between projects.
-It seems much easier to do to non standard things in Ant (a real plus?)
-The project specific build files are much simpler.

Right now, I have both working, so I will go along with the consensus.

Cheers,
Leif

Cheers,
Leif