excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: Gump?
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:37:41 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> It basically comes down to a very simple question. What does gump add
> for us? and what does it cost to add this?

If only that were a simple question!

What does gump add?

  * continous integration where excalibur is built against the latest
    version from CVS HEAD of all our dependencies and our dependees are
    built against us;
  * such a system already in place and running with an active ASF project
    supporting it, also with beefy hardware to support it, etc etc;
  * of course lots of bells and whistles and features like email reports
    on build failures, jar and javadoc publishing, etc;
  * positive mindshare with other ASF projects who also particpate in
    gump and depend on it for continuous integration (ie the warm fuzzy
    fluffy community stuff).

What does it cost?

  * need to know what gump is and how it works;
  * need to maintain gump descriptors;
  * need to maintain ant build for probably 2 or 3 months, though that
    can be 95% autogenerated using a maven plugin.

> If we really need a continuous build ruinning then there are quite a few
> that we could contemplate using that dont require too much effort. I
> have no idea what the best is or even what is easy but even a simple
> cron job that did a checkout and a maven in base directory would suffice
> for us.

I wouldn't call that continuous /integration/ at all! :-D. To set up a
system like gump with all the features of gump and keep it running
properly is not an easy task. For example, DamageControl != gump.

Again, add a grain of salt to my opinion! In fact, add a few more! (if
you watch soccer you'll know why.)

gnight gang!

- LSD