excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: Nuke Compatibility
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:55:02 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> No one has really responded to my suggestions on where to start so I
> will put them in more concrete terms. I think we should start by nuking
> compatibility library.

[lsimons@giraffe excalibur]$ find . -name 'project.xml' -maxdepth 3 !
-path '*compatibility*' | xargs grep -H 'excalibur-compatibility'
./trunk/monitor/project.xml:            <id>excalibur-compatibility</id>

I think that's an error (was looking into that the other day but got
sidetracked), but lets be sure.

> This would entail
> * Bundling up the current codebase and placing it in public location
> * Adding some wordage to the excalibur site describing move
> * Pointing users at replacement codebases
>   - commons-cli for cli
>   - commons-collections for collections
>   - spice-jndikit for naming
>   - doug leas concurrent for concurrent
>   - spice-salt for io
> * removing compatibility from build system
> * removing compatiblity from subversion
>
> Does anyone have a problem with this?

+1 to the nuking...but I don't like the first bullet nor the last two.
Why not just a

svn copy -m "excalibur-compatibility is put in graveyard mode..." \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk/compatibility \
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/tags/Excalibur-Compatibility-Archived

svn delete -m "excalibur-compatibility is put in graveyard mode..." \
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk/compatibility

with subversion, we don't have to go through a lot of trouble to keep
the filesystem clean -- we have a DB now!

- LSD