excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting to the 'point' of excalibur
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:13:50 GMT
Hi,

Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Are we here to maintain the Excalibur/Fortress codebase or do we also have
> intentions on growing it?

What I would like to see and what I intend to do are not one and the
same :) I would like to see Excalibur focus on it's strengths which is
essentially lightweight containers and supporting components. Other
non-essential code (ie what I liested a few days ago) is jettisoned.
Code that is clumped together accoring to what development mode it is
in. ie ECM, TestCase, Pool are in one clump, Fortress and friends are in
another clump and the other code is in a separate clump.

I would like to see a rapid reduction of all the overhead that is
associated with Excalibur. It seems insane to me that we are wasting
valuable energy;
* maintaining separate build systems (pick one and junk the other)
* have extreme breakdown in terms of projects/jars (this is a merlinism
that just adds overhead here)
* hosting/maintaining code where original developers have forked it away
etc

In terms of new development I think that an abstraction layer that
allowed me to build a container and then create/access components from
it using a standard interface would be best thing to tackle.

> Let's also put it this way.  Do we plan on attracting new users to ECM and
> Fortress?  If a new user came along, would we tell them to jump right in, or
> would we redirect them to Nano or some other framework?  If you were
> starting on new application development right now, would you use our current
> codebase?  Or at least at 6 or 8 months down the road, do you see yourself
> using some new software release from Excalibur as opposed to one of the many
> other similar frameworks?

I think you will find it all depends on the atmosphere here. I would
like to use Fortress or some derivative of it if I could trust the
project to maintain a stable product with an active community -
otherwise not.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald