excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting to the point of excalibur
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:05:04 GMT
Farr, Aaron wrote:
>>From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>>
>>There is one thing I more and more dislike. It's the lookup
>>mechanism in Avalon.
<snip/>
> I always preferred a URI/URL approach.
<snip/>

I very much prefer a simple pluggable approach, where you perhaps start
with the most basic semantics (according to me thats Objects, ie HashMap
semantics, according to Berin its definately Strings), but can support
any other semantics by writing like 20 lines of code and 2 lines of
configuration file.

> That way you could create a scheme
> which could handle a number of different lookup mechanisms.

Well, URLs are ASCII strings. Not everything is easily or conveniently
transformed into an ASCII string...

- LSD