excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Instrument Manager package.
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:58:46 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Leif Mortenson wrote:
>
>> Also it looks like the pool and thread packages have been broken up into
>> instrumented and uninstrumented copies of the components. Is this really
>> necessary?
>
> I don't know.
>
> I would like to wait with changing any of this back until we have
> excalibur building using gump again (right now gump is building the
> version in cvs). I really don't want to go back to a complex build
> that continuously breaks.
>
> Excalibur used to be a really big mess dependency-wise, and this is
> now less of an issue. I'd like to keep it that way.

Agreed.  If it is possible to clean up the dependency tree amongst the
tests however
then remerging the pool code would be desirable.

>> maintenance nightmare. If a user does not wish to use instrumentation
>> then all they need to do is include the instrument jar, which is
>> extremely
>> small. I think it would be wise to get rid of the uninstrumented
>> versions
>> and go back to only having one copy of the source. This is akin to
>> creating
>> a version of the classes which do not do logging... Thoughts?
>
> I fear that the two will quickly diverge and become a
>
> I thought that there were just a few classes in pool with
> instrumentation, and those were moved out for dependency management
> reasons.

There are only a few with instrumentation.  The problem is that the class
ResourceLimitingPool used to be instrumented.  It is widely used in my code.
That class was copied as InstrumentedResourceLimitingPool and the original
had all of its instrumentation removed.   This is the naming change that
I was
referring to.   If possible, I would like to get this worked out before
a release.
Once that happens it gets more and more difficult to change back.

> [lsimons@giraffe instrumented]$ pwd
> /home/lsimons/svn/asf/excalibur/trunk/pool/instrumented
> [lsimons@giraffe instrumented]$ find . -name '*.java'
> ./src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/pool/ValidatedResourceLimitingPool.java
>
> ./src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/pool/InstrumentedResourceLimitingPool.java
>
> [lsimons@giraffe instrumented]$ cd ../impl/

<snip>

> In summary: Niclas broke things out for a good reason (in order to
> figure out the dependency chain), I'm okay with changing things again,
> but only if the dependency graph stays clean and we use gump to verify
> that.

Ok, I will look into how that can be done.

Cheers,
Leif