excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [RT] so...many...components...
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:40:36 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> By "non-excalibur-community" I mean things like xmlutil, store and/or
> sourceresolve. I haven't been active around here for ages but when I was
> these were mainly (only?) maintained by Cocoon people. In the long term
> it would seem to make sense that you move the code to where more
> interested parties are likely to work on it (ie back into cocoon). The
> fact that cocooners had (or still have?) access to excaliburs repo did
> not make them a part of this community and IIRC there was no real
> infusion of development energy.

Just an FYI, the Source Resolve code is used by Fortress right now, so
we do have reason to keep that one around for a while.

Store is a Cocoon brain child, and it very well may be replaced with
something newer.  Stefano has come up with an interesting idea about
an in-JVM cache that has some promise, but it is mathematically
complex to understand.  I don't know when "eventually" will come.

XMLUtil is another beast entirely.  Apparently it is very important to
Cocoon, and I believe Carsten Zeigler used it in some other non-Apache
work.  While there are other users, I believe that Cocoon is the only
Apache one.

                 - Rich Cook