excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Event
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:53:40 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

Hi Peter!

> Hi,
>
>  From what I understand Event was forked off by Berin and he continued
> development at d_haven and over that time significantly improved the
> codebase. AFAIK no one else from this project has significantly
> contributed to the new codebase (or even the old one?).

I believe the other two who helped with it are Mark Shier (whom I have
not been able to get in contact with), Leo Sutic, and Pete Royal (both
of whom I was able to contact before the fork).

Of those, the one who contributed second most to me was Mark.

All the refactoring work has been done alone though.

> I would suggest that a good way to move forward would be to allow Berin
> to continue development at d_haven. The Excalibur event package is then
> deprecated in favor of the next stable d_haven release. Until such a
> time people can continue to use the old excalibur package.

Ok.  I know I have as much leeway as I need or want to distribute the
Event package from D-Haven, but what would make it easiest to fit in
with the ANT/Maven build cycle?  I don't have IBiblio access, but I have
been formatting the dist.d-haven.org site to be compatible with that
approach.

> If (and only if) there ends up being significant contribution from
> excalibur committers to the d_haven codebase then it can be moved back
> here if that is their wishes.
>
> At the moment it seems unwise to to migrate a codebase that has a
> development community of essentially one to Excalibur. Even if it was to
> migrate to Apache I would suggest that Jakarta Commons is probably a
> better destination. The reason is that it will have better exposure
> there and is much more likely to be adopted by a wider range of users
> and developers than if it came to Excalibur.

I understand your concerns, and have no reason to rock the boat.  My
hopes are that when Event is done, it is done.  I may include more stuff
later as the need arises, but I don't foresee tons of stuff needing to be
done to it after it is refactored.  Note: I *may* port it to Java 1.5
and take advantage of some language features (most notably the
java.util.concurrent package), but until I really have a need to do
that, why create work for myself?

As a side note, the parallel Java 1.4/1.5 development path with Dojo
is going rather well.  Once the tests are in place, it is merely a
matter of refactoring things to use the Java 1.5 features that make
sense.  That would be the approach that any port of the Event package
would take.

> I don't think we should be worried that Berin is going to massively
> alter the codebase and leave fortress stranded and in that light I am
> having trouble figuring out why it should arrive here.

:)

I think that is a fairly safe assumption.  I was going to fork Fortress
as well to protect the GUIApp framework I have, but with the Excalibur
project established, that action should not be necessary any more.

                 - Rich Cook