excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Event
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:31:17 GMT
Hi,

 From what I understand Event was forked off by Berin and he
continued development at d_haven and over that time
significantly improved the codebase. AFAIK no one else from
this project has significantly contributed to the new
codebase (or even the old one?).

I would suggest that a good way to move forward would be to
allow Berin to continue development at d_haven. The
Excalibur event package is then deprecated in favor of the
next stable d_haven release. Until such a time people can
continue to use the old excalibur package.

If (and only if) there ends up being significant
contribution from excalibur committers to the d_haven
codebase then it can be moved back here if that is their
wishes.

At the moment it seems unwise to to migrate a codebase that
has a development community of essentially one to Excalibur.
Even if it was to migrate to Apache I would suggest that
Jakarta Commons is probably a better destination. The reason
is that it will have better exposure there and is much more
likely to be adopted by a wider range of users and
developers than if it came to Excalibur.

I don't think we should be worried that Berin is going to
massively alter the codebase and leave fortress stranded and
in that light I am having trouble figuring out why it should
arrive here.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald